Getting to know your fellow rafters sooner rather than later is a great way to start your trip off grand. Many people have meet life-long friends on their Grand Canyon trip. Here are some fun and easy ways to learn interesting trivia about Grand Canyon while on the rafts or hanging around camp.
Sometimes the easiest way to get to know someone is to just ask. “What do you do?” is a common question asked of people, but what about beyond that?
- What’s your name? – Ok, we know this is basic but it is OK to ask this twice… heck 10 times! There are lots of new faces and we all forget names, so keep asking and they’ll likely be relieved to ask for your name again too. 🙂
- What inspired you to do a Grand Canyon raft trip?
- When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your time?
- Where was the last place you traveled to?
- What are you currently reading? Have you read any books about Grand Canyon?
- What’s your hidden talent?
- What’s your favorite travel experience?
- What’s your favorite way to spend a weekend?
- If you could go back to anytime in history, where would you go?
- What did you bring with you that you don’t think you’ll use?
- What’s the best piece of travel advice you’ve ever received?
FIND THE GUEST WHO…
Got any kids or young adults on your trip? It might be fun to give them the task to find the guest who…
- Plays an instrument
- Speaks another language
- Is left-handed
- Traveled furthest for this trip
- Has never been to the Grand Canyon before
- Traveled the least distance for this trip
- Has rafted before
- Vacationed in the last 3 months
- Is traveling with the largest group
- Is celebrating a special occasion on this trip
- Has never camped before
GRAND CANYON TRIVIA
Or you can brush up on your Grand Canyon trivia and quiz those around you.
- Grand Canyon became a national park in _____
- ____ ____ is a lodge at the bottom of the Grand Canyon
- The _______ chub is a federally protected fish in the Colorado River
- ______, AZ is the town known as the “Gateway to the Grand Canyon”
- The toilet vault is also known as the _____
- Lee’s Ferry marks river mile __
- ______ ruins are ancestral Puebloan granaries
- ___ ____ _____ led his first expedition in 1869.
- The ___ ____ Dam maintains the distribution of water to the Colorado River
- The _____ _____ Trail has an elevation gain of 4,400 ft from river to rim
- ______ ______ creates the bright blue water of Havasu Creek
- ______ are birds known to steal from river runners’ unattended bags
- The Bright Angel Trail meets the river at _____ Creek
- The 7 Natural Wonders of the World are ______ ________, ______ __ ___ __ _______, _____ ______, _____ _______ ____, _____ _______, _________, and ________ _____.
1. 1919 2.Phantom Ranch 3. humpback 4. Williams 5. groover 6.0 7. Nankoweap 8. John Wesley Powell 9. Glen Canyon 10. Bright Angel 11. Calcium carbonate 12. Ravens 13. Pipe 14. Aurora Borealis, Harbor of Rio de Janeiro, Grand Canyon, Great Barrier Reef, Mount Everest, Paricutin, and Victoria Falls