The minimum physical requirements are outlined below but, the thing to remember is, this is an adventure! The more you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it. We think you’ll enjoy your trip most if you’re in good physical condition. We highly recommend participating in all daily activities, if possible. This includes side hikes, loading and unloading the boats, setting up your own campsite, and getting yourself on and off the boats multiple times each day. The guides will give an assessment of the difficulty level before beginning a side hike so you can choose whether to participate. They’ll also demonstrate how to set up your campsite and explain how to wash your dishes when you’re at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!
Each participant must:
- Be 8 years or older for a motorized trip or 12 years or older for an oar-powered trip, and be accompanied by an adult if under the age of 18.
- Be able to properly wear provided Coast Guard approved personal flotation device.
- Be able to remain seated and balanced on the raft, with the assistance of hand-held straps, through rapids.
- Be able to board and exit the raft independently or with the assistance of a companion.
- If on an Partial Canyon trip, be able to hike or otherwise ascend/descend 10 miles on the Bright Angel Trail with a personal backpack containing all personal gear and all food and water for the hike, and be able to properly maintain personal health and hydration levels.
- Be able to assist in self-rescue in the event of a capsized raft or being thrown from the raft.
- Be able to comprehend and follow instructions.
- Be physically and mentally capable of participating in a trip without endangering or negatively impacting the health and safety of other trip participants.
Please review an example of the Acknowledgement of Risk form that we require all of our guests to sign before participating.